|Enter a description of the Job|
Sauti Yetu Center for African Women whose name means “Our Voice” in Swahili, is a multi-issue community-based organization dedicated to mobilizing African immigrant women to improve the quality of their lives, strengthen their families and develop their communities.
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
We are seeking a full-time Accountant to join our growing finance department in the Bronx, NY. The accountant will be responsible for ensuring is responsible for recording a company’s financial accounts and records. Their duties include checking accounting records for accuracy, tracking invoices, maintained compliance with the agencies contractual obligations, vendor payments and maintaining a system for organizing company documents.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
Duties will include but are not limited to:
• Ensure compliance with Sauti Yetu corporate governance finance standards;
• Process vendor invoices, analyze accounts and negotiate terms with vendors;
• Prepare financial statements with budget comparisons on monthly basis;
• Prepare and manage budgets and budget modification for government grants
• Contribute to the development of program and organizational budgets that incorporates restricted and unrestricted revenue;
• Reconciled monthly bank statements, payroll allocation and review quarterly payroll tax forms;
• Prepare quarterly balance sheet reports including all assets and liabilities;
• Manage and prepare all required schedules and back-up documentation required for annual
agency-wide audits and contract specific audits;
• Liaison to auditors and governmental compliance entities for financial related matters;
• Prepare annual 1099 forms and CHAR500 and submit to NYS attorney general’s office;
• Process and manage cash receipts, accounts payable/disbursements, check requests, journal entries, general ledger reports;
• Update and manage accounting file system (both electronic and hard copy); and
• Provide general book keeping administrative support as required.
The ideal candidate will:
• Bachelor Degree or certificate in Accounting
• Have at least 3-5 years of experience working for a non-profit organization in finance operations;
• Experience in bookkeeping or accounting, including financial reporting;
• Experience reconciling government contracts and vouchering process
• Experience management and keeping track of government grants, in particular city contract ACS, DYCD, and Federal and state grants is a plus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Be Proficient with QuickBooks, MIP and MS Office applications, including Word and Excel;
• Have an extremely high level of professionalism, and organizational skills;
• Excel working in a small, fast-paced organization;
• Ability to work under time constraints;
• Be highly detail-oriented and self-directed;
• Ability to multi-task and set priorities;
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team;
• Be at ease working with, and highly sensitive to, a broad, multinational and multicultural staff and client base and other constituencies and
• A commitment to social justice.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary based on experience, qualifications and fit. Sauti Yetu offers competitive benefits packet that includes 80% of employer covered medical, dental and vision packet, 3% employer contribution to 403(B) retirement account. 3weeks paid vacation, 4 personal days a year, 12 sick days, and up to 13 public holidays. TransitChek, Municipal Credit Union membership.
Interested and qualified individuals should email their resume with cover letter to HR@sautiyetu.us Subject line: Staff Accountant